Global climate strike #NoMoreEmptyPromises
Since the last global climate strike 2 years ago heads of states have made great promises to take action in order to alleviate the climate crisis. However, they have not implemented any significant change to their behaviour. Countries, including Estonia, keep creeping through legal loopholes to continue harming the environment, they keep subsidising fossil fuels and cutting down more forests faster than can recover. With each passing day, the climate crisis worsens and more biodiversity is lost.
Environmental crises cannot be halted with empty promises. We need science-based action in order to alleviate climate and environmental crises!
Join the global climate strike on Friday, the 19th of March all day long!
How to participate?
- Take a photo of yourself with a climate strike themed banner
- Post it on social media and tag Fridays For Future Eesti (or send the picture to us at info[ät]fridaysforfuture.ee). Use the hashtags #AitabTühjadestLubadustest and #NoMoreEmptyPromises.
In order to stop the spread of the coronavirus we will not be taking to the streets in Estonia this time.
- Stop subsidizing fossil fuels. Public subsidies for fossil fuel production hinder the transition to renewable energy and thus the reduction of carbon emissions.
- Reduce carbon emissions as fast as leading climate science requires to keep global warming below 1.5°C. Only reaching net zero by 2050 is not enough. The speed of reduction of carbon emissions this year and the next plays a crucial role in halting the global climate crisis. Action must be taken according to the leading climate science.
- Ensure that the transition to a climate neutral society is as just as possible. Becoming climate neutral must not contribute to the rise of social inequality.
More information: https://fridaysforfuture.org/march19/